As of September 2021 there are eight novels in total,Three additional novels were published under my legal name (Rosina Lippi). Homestead, mentioned above, is one of them. The other two are Tied to the Tracks and The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square. … Continue reading six in the first series (generally called the Wilderness series), and two in the second (Waverly Place Series).
The question I hear most often these days: What’s next? What comes after Where the Light Enters? Here’s an answer.
Both series of novels are set primarily in northern New York State or Manhattan in the 19th century, but there are storylines that spend time in New Orleans and environs, rural New Jersey and Staten Island; St. Louis; ; New Mexico Territory. The Wilderness novels run from 1792 to 1824; the Waverly Place novels are set between 1883 and 1885; and Little Birds is set in 1857.; ; ; the ; Spanish Florida; the Gulf of Mexico,
There are two kinds of information here: First, research summaries on a wide variety of topics. Some examples:
- prisoner of war camps in Canada in the early 19th century
- how the first smallpox vaccinations were done
- standards of beauty in the Victorian era, and the corset kerfuffle
- how much it cost to ride the elevated train in 1885 in Manhattan
- what vegetables the average person could expect to harvest (or buy) in April
- the smuggling culture in coastal lowland Scotland in the late 18th century
- how slavery worked in northern states, and the repercussions of the Gradual Manumission Act. (Yes, slavery was in the north, too.)
- what Andrew Jackson got up to in New Orleans during the last battle in the war of 1812.
This is a big project that starts with transferring many posts between weblog and wiki. It may never be finished, but I chisel way at it so the next time somebody emails to say: I’m confused about Lily’s family or Where was x when the steamboat docked in Independence? I can send them here to have a look around and find an answer. Possibly not to the question they started with, but hey, there are other things like, lots of maps, short character bios, floor plans, newspaper advertisements, and plot lines. There is a detailed family tree as well.
What you won’t find here
- On writing fiction: rules of thumb (an overview)
- The unbearable lightness of the blank page
- Essential traits for writers
- Story or plot: Finding your way
- The Trifecta of storytelling: The whole pie
What I’m Writing Now
Currently I’m working on a novel that serves as a bridge between the Wilderness series and the Waverly Place series. More about Little Birds here.
|↑1||Three additional novels were published under my legal name (Rosina Lippi). Homestead, mentioned above, is one of them. The other two are Tied to the Tracks and The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square. Both contemporary and set in the south.|