the Tenderloin

In the decades after the Civil War the northward expansion of the city accelerated greatly. The large department stories began to abandon stores south of 14th and rebuilt — larger and more elaborate stores —  in an area bounded by 14th and 23rd Streets,  Broadway and Sixth Avenue (the area that came to be known as  the Ladies’ Mile. … Read more.

Jefferson Market

From Wikipedia:

The [Third Judicial] courthouse was completed in 1877, and in 1885 a panel of American architects sponsored by American Architect and Building News voted it the fifth most beautiful building in America.

In the triangular block that housed the police and district courts was also a market that played a central role in the daily life of the neighborhood.… Read more.